Toggle Theme Editor
Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Charcoal

Luis Ortiz comment come back to haunt him after turning down a chance to fight Anthony Joshua

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by realsporting, Apr 24, 2019.

  1. realsporting

    realsporting Administrator Staff Member

    British boxer Anthony Joshua is searching for a new opponent for his USA debut after disgraced Jarrell drugs tests and was denied a boxing licence. Joshua was due to fight Miller at New York's Madison Square Garden – the British fighter's US debut.

    Luis Ortiz will not replace Jarrell Miller as world
    heavy weight champion Anthony Joshua's opponent on 1 June, the Cuban's promoter has said.
    but what he previously said about a fight with the unified heavyweight world champion has come back to bite him.

    The Cuban brute has always been among the names in contention to trade punches with Joshua, even before the fight with Jarrell Miller was confirmed.

    Even though Ortiz, 40, claims he is desperate to take on IBF, WBA and WBO holder Anthony Joshua, the Cuban claims Hearn was never serious about making the fight happen.

    When Anthony Joshua was looking for an opponent for his Wembley Stadium date in April, Ortiz said that he would jump at a fight with AJ whatever money was thrown at him.

    “Listen, I heard you mention my name two weeks ago and I didn’t feel like responding because maybe like Whyte and [Joe] Joyce, you were just using my name to show you got some cojones which I believe you do,” he told Boxing Scene back in February.

    “But just in case, maybe Eddie Hearn hasn’t informed you that my manager has already reached out to him. It was last month before you made that comment about me and advised him I’m available.

    “So look, if you want to fight I’m here and stop saying I priced myself out because I’ve never had no offers to fight you.

    “With all respect to you for all you have done, I’ll fight you for just about any money you offer me so if you can’t work out the Miller fight, I’m here and ready. I’ll fight you in the USA or UK.

    “It’s on you and if you think you’re that good and want to test yourself who better than me? Wilder and Fury are not available and I believe in my heart to be the best you must face the best."


    Yet on Tuesday, Ortiz’s management revealed they have decided to turn down a fight with Joshua on June 1 at Madison Square Garden because of the unsatisfactory financial offer presented by Matchroom boxing.

    “It’s a no go for June 1,” Ortiz’s management wrote on Instagram.
    “Sorry guys we where told to stay as quite as possible and play possum until fight had been made because every-time someone called Luis out it would be a gimmick to promote them self but it still didn’t work.

    “We just received news from promoter that it’s a no go and it was all a gimmick and Hearn’s low ball offers will not be accepted and no contract even ever got sent so sorry to all the loyal fans.

    “Luis really wanted this title shot.”


    Anthony Joshua, who will be putting his WBA, WBO, IBF and IBO titles on the line has confirmed that an announcement will be made in the coming days.

    “Hopefully it’ll be in the next 48 hours or 72 hours we’ll have an update,” he said.

    “I keep my head down and try to stay out of trouble, that’s the best thing I can do, and deliver in the ring. June 1, MSG, it’s still going down. The landlord will still come and collect his rent.”
     

Share This Page